26.10.2006

Sock Stories

Taman paivan postauksessa ei esitella joululahjasalaisuuksia, vaan kirjoitus on Mustasta villasta bongattu Lollyn sukkakuuaiheinen kysely. Talla kertaa vain englanniksi, pahoittelen.

I found this questionary about socks from Mustaa Villaa, but it's originally from Lolly. This time I won't be showing any projects but explaining my sock history.

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

The first stitches I cast on with my grandmother when I was about 6 years old. The first socks I knit in school when I was 13. All the girls/boy in the handicraft classes had to knit socks then. After the first pair it took few years before I started to knit more, and the last two years it has become an addiction..

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

The first pair was a basic sock with reinforced heel flap. I think the yarn was Gjestal's Maija in wine and dark green. The result was not so horrible, and I gave the socks for a Christmas present for my godmother. Though, teacher said I made the decreases wrong (bla bla bla..). I have no idea how are they doing nowadays, but at least the yarn is good quality.

What would you have done differently?

Told the teacher that there's no right and wrong in knitting - there is just several possibilities and creativity!

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

I have always made the socks with strong yarn, in order to have socks that last years and years. So, I haven't tried so many luxury yarns yet. My favourites have been the mentioned Maija, OnLine SuperSocke 100 and OnLine's Cotton sock yarn. All of them good quality, pleasant to knit and durable.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

I've learned to knit socks with dpn's and that's how I like to do them. Though, when I'll have enough patience, I'd like to learn to make them with two circulars. Magic loop I have tried but didn't like it. I've never tried to crochet socks, but I'm sure I'll do it one day, too.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

Until now, I have tried few different types of heelflaps and the short-row heel. I prefer the flap usually, but I think in some yarn/model the short-row heel is better.

How many pairs have you made?

Oh... At least 47 pairs, and I'm working on at least 3 pairs now. I love to have different project on at the same time.


Happy Socktoberfest, everyone!